Thursday, August 30, 2007

1989 JWE and Margaret a few favs or our visit to Great Britain

As long as I can remember I begged to have a horse or pony. I remember sitting with Grandad E. at the livestock auctions when I was about 4 and begging him to buy me every horse they brought out. I think I was trying to figure out how to get this one home.

In southern England wild ponies wander about for the amusement of tourists. It was hard to know that periodically they harvest/thin the herd for population control and profit (ie pet food).


The farm boy showed himself a little. I'd never seen Dad engaging with any animal besides the family dog until now. He often seemed to distance himself from his farm background. I've always been touched by this connection he made with this little foal whose future was uncertain.


Quintessential JWE


The pony cart was for my benefit. Dad made me feel like a little girl by encouraging this silly but memorable tourist activity. I cherish it.

No comments: