Saturday, August 18, 2007

Remembering D Scott today with love

When Scott had his first birthday, both sets of grandparents came south to visit and have cake. I believe the story was after cake, he somehow ended up in the tub prematurely...and suddenly. He didn't expect it anymore than Mom did. He's not crying though so apparently it was good for a laugh.

Scott is probably about five in this picture. I only know that because there is a picture of meat about the age of sitting up that was taken at the same time. Handsome and happy lad.

Paul E. got to meet his first grandson.

Scott looked like this for most of his adult life. Hair, mustache, and sideburns changed over the years but not much else. Scott was alone for a long time. But when he and Robin found each it was like they found home in each other. He loved all four of his daughters and would be very proud of them today.

As our oldest brother, Scott taught us stuff, sent several of us to the emergency room, let us learn to ride a bike on his Huffy, let us learn to ride a motorcycle on his Suzuki. Tried to teach some us to play the guitar (I was hopeless). And yes, there are more photos of him than any of us...that's what comes with being numero uno. Nonetheless, he set a high standard for all of us to follow.

One of Scott's favorite music artists was James Taylor. It was eerie when I listened to the lyrics to Fire & Rain after Scott died. He used to play and sing that song all the time. It was like it was written for him. I can't listen to it without missing Scott.

Just yesterday morning, they let me know you were gone...Suzanne the plans they made put an end to you.

I've seen fire, and I've seen rain.

I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end.
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend.
But, I always thought I would see you again.

Won't you look down upon me, Jesus
You got to help me make a stand.
Just got to see me through another day
My body's aching and my time is at hand.
I won't make it any other way.

Been walking my mind to lazy times, my back turned towards the sun.
Lord knows when the cold wind blows it'll turn your head around.
Well there's hours of time on the telphone line to talk about things to come.
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.

But I always I thought I'd see you one more time again.

No comments: